A healthy version of chili with some spicy Aurelia's Chorizo that warms you up on those cold winter days! Just in time for the Super Bowl!
Cook Time: 45 mins | Serves: 12 | Difficulty: Easy
- 3 links Aurelia's Spanish chorizo sausage, diced (8oz)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 3 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional garnishes: sour cream, avocado slices, chopped onion, cilantro
Remove 2 chiles from can; finely chop, reserving remaining chiles and sauce for another use.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chorizo and sauté rendering fat. Add chiles, 1 3/4 cups onion, bell peppers, garlic; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chili powder and next 7 ingredients (chili powder through corn), stirring to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate, salt, and black pepper.
Ladle 1 cup chili into each of 12 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon onion. Serve with tortilla chips.
Calories 311 Caloriesfromfat 24 % Fat 8.4 g Satfat 3.2 g Monofat 3.4 g Polyfat 1 g Protein 16.5 g Carbohydrate 43.9 g Fiber 12.9 g Cholesterol 13 mg Iron 4.1 mg Sodium 888 mg Calcium 95 mg
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine