These wonderful stuffed potato bites are all about texture. The potato filling is left chunky not mashed. The chorizo and peppers add a spicy and sweet burst of flavor.
And although they are served warm, don't melt that manchego cheese! Its salty earthy flavor completes the dish
- 1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes (about 15) washed and dried completely.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 links Aurelia's Spanish Chorizo diced (about 5 oz)
- 1/4 cup sweet red bell pepper diced (or 3-4 piquillo peppers)
- 3/4 cup shredded Manchego cheese divided
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place potatoes on a baking sheet, rub with olive oil and season with coarse sea salt salt. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender through to the center when pierced with a sharp knife. Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- In a small skillet, warm the diced chorizo until fragrant and it renders a bit of orange oil. Add red bell pepper and saute for one minute or so to soften the pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the potatoes in half. Use a small spoon to scoop out the inside of each potato leaving a nice shell of potato intact. Place scooped out potato in a medium sized bowl. Add 1/4 cup shredded manchego cheese, 3 tablespoons melted butter, toss to combine, being careful not to mash the potatoes. Stir in Chorizo and pepper mixture.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, mounding slightly. Sprinkle with remaining manchego cheese.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary if desired.