Photo: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
Start your day off with crispy fried potatoes in chorizo oil with cubed chorizo, eggs, avocado and seared green chilies. It'll give you the quick start you need!
Cook Time: 40 min | Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Medium
- 1 1/2 pounds russet or Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 3/4 to 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 4 ounces Aurelia's Spanish Chorizo, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts cut into 1-inch lengths, greens sliced and set aside
- 1 poblano pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 small avocado diced
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought salsa verde for serving
- 12 warm corn tortillas for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 quarts cold water. Add vinegar and 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until barely tender, about 5 minutes after coming to a boil. Pour potatoes into a colander and let drain for 2 minutes.
2. Place chorizo chunks in a cast iron skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until chorizo is crisp on all sides and fat has rendered out, about 10 minutes. Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon into a large bowl, leaving fat in skillet. Set chorizo aside.
3. When potatoes are drained, add 3 tablespoons of oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add drained potatoes cooking, stirring and tossing occasionally, until potatoes are deep brown and crisp on all sides, about 20 minutes. Add cumin and paprilka, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to bowl with chorizo and set aside.
4. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet and heat over high heat until shimmering. Add scallion whites, light greens and poblano. Cook, stirring occasionally until charred, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper then transfer to bowl with potatoes and chorizo. Toss contents of bowl and return to skillet. Make 4 wells in potato mixture.
5. Carefully break 1 egg into a small bowl and slide into a fine mesh strainer over the sink. Swirl egg very gently until excess loose white drains away. Carefully add to the egg into one of the cavities in the skillet. Repeat with remaining three eggs.
6. Drizzle eggs with a few drops of oil, season with salt and pepper, and place into the preheated oven. Cook until whites are barely set but yolks are still runny, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with sliced scallion greens, chopped cilantro and avocado. Serve immediately with salsa and tortillas.