An old favorite with a new twist! The smoky spicy Spanish chorizo bites we call Besitos make this dish a delight! Aurelia's Besitos are a full flavored cooking chorizo and are great in paellas, tapas or as a breakfast sausage. They are fully cooked, but not dried.
This recipe elevates the humble corn dog into an international star!
Cook Time: 30 mins | Serves: 6-8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 2-3 cups canola oil (you want your oil to be about 2 inches deep)
- 1 (16 oz) package Aurelia's Besitos (Spanish cooking chorizos)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour - plus a little extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- about 22 appetizer style toothpicks (we buy ours at pickonus.com)
- 1 jar romesco sauce for dipping
1. Heat vegetable oil in a 4 quart saucepan over medium high heat to 350 degrees.
2. Using kitchen shears or knife, clip apart the little sausages. Insert appetizer skewers. Pat the sausages completely dry. lightly dust with extra flour (this will help the batter stick) Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Working in batches, dredge chorizos in the batter until completely covered.
5. Add corn dogs to the skillet, 4 or 5 at a time, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
6. Serve immediately with romesco sauce.
Party Tip: you can use plain toothpicks for dredging and frying and then replace them with decorative ones for serving. It keeps the decorative toothpicks from being greasy.