Photo: The Spruce
Spicy cubes of Spanish chorizo cooked in a savory tomato sauce seasoned with smoked Spanish paprika over penne pasta makes for a delightfully hearty dinner.
Cook Time: 30 mins | Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 medium-size yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 link of Aurelia's Spanish Chorizo
- 1/4 cup Spanish virgin olive oil
- 1 (24-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes that have been chopped or pulsed in a food processor)
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 pound dry penne (macaroni or spaghetti noodles)
- Big pinch salt
1. Start by peeling and chopping the onion into 1/4-inch chunks. Peel and chop garlic. Remove the seeds and veins from the pepper and chop. Cut the chorizo into round slices about 1/4-inch thick.
2. Pour about half of the olive oil into a large skillet and heat on medium. Once hot enough (but not smoking), sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and chorizo slices in the pan. Stir often. If necessary, add more of the olive oil to the pan.
3. Once the onions are translucent, add the crushed tomatoes.
4. Sprinkle the paprika. Stir and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes, being careful not to burn the sauce.
5. While the sauce is simmering, bring water for pasta to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add pasta of choice and a big pinch of salt and cook until al dente -- about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta immediately.
6. To serve, add the pasta to skillet and mix it together with the sauce. If you prefer, plate the pasta, then add sauce on top.
Source: The Spruce Eats